Fair Trade News – February 2021
Fairtrade Fortnight is an annual event that takes place during the last week of February and the first week of March. It’s an opportunity for Fair Traders to get together and do a good old bit of promo. Followers of our Facebook page may recall last year when I semi-hijacked a BBC Wellbeing Event by using the opportunity to promote fairtrade, and when we went for tea and cake with the Lord Mayor of Hull in his parlour! We had a lovely afternoon that day, surrounded by like-minded people and delicious cakes.
Fairtrade Fortnight 2021
Fairtrade Fortnight 2021 is going to be a bit different. As I type, we are in the middle of our third lockdown due to the Covid-19 pandemic, so this year there will be no stalls, no gatherings, and no posh dos. I won’t say there’ll be no cake because that would be a lie. There most certainly will be cake, and tea, and coffee – I’m just planning on persuading our teenage cake-maker extraordinaire to make us one. Not that she takes much persuading.
All is not lost, however, because the wonderfully inspirational people at the Fairtrade Foundation have come up with some fantastic events for us all to get involved in. The theme of this year’s event is “Choose the World You Want” and will focus on highlighting the growing challenges that climate change brings to farmers and workers in the communities Fairtrade works with. In the words of the Fairtrade Foundation,
“Farmers and workers in countries such as Kenya, Ethiopia and Honduras, who have done the least to contribute to climate change, are disproportionately affected by it. They have told us that:
- Climate change is one of their biggest challenges right now,
- Low prices for their crops mean that they are struggling to fight back,
- Only with more money will they feel equipped to meet their everyday needs and deal with the challenges they face from climate change.”
Choose the World You Want
To help raise awareness of these issues and get ideas for how we can all play our part in the attempt to address these difficulties there will be an online Choose the World You Want Festival, open to all. Click on the link to sign up (they don’t spam you and they won’t sell your info). The festival is free to join in and will feature the following:
- Farmers and workers from around the world explaining why they need to earn more to survive a climate crisis that is already hurting their communities
- Discussions between farmers, other experts and famous faces about what we need to do to choose a better future
- Music, art and entertainment, from all corners of our passionate and talented global Fairtrade community
- Fun interactive workshops on sustainable living here in the UK
You can join in as many events as you want, or even just a few if that’s all you have the time for. The events start on Monday, 22nd February and run through to Sunday 7th March 2021.
Last week’s blog post was Product of the Month and I talked about our wonderful seed cards. Next week will be Fragrance of the Month.
Take care of yourselves and each other,
Visit our gift and clothing shop
We are proud to be a member of BAFTS